1887

William Grant fulfils a lifelong ambition and starts building his own distillery with the help of his nine children and a single stone mason. He names it Glenfiddich, Gaelic for Valley of the Deer. After a year of hard labour the first drop of spirit falls from our copper stills on Christmas Day 1887.

1923

Prohibition is in full swing. William’s grandson Grant Gordon joins the family firm, surprises the industry and increases whisky production. As the decade and the law turns, we are one of only six distilleries still operating in Scotland. Ready to meet a new surge in demand for fine, aged whiskies.

1957

Charles Gordon, William’s great grand son, insists on having coppersmiths onsite at the Distillery. They are rare and skilled craftsmen, always on hand to build and tend to our uniquely shaped and sized copper stills.

1959

Soon after coppersmiths are brought onsite, Gordon Grant builds up a dedicated cooperage. Never underestimating the importance of casks in developing exceptional whiskies, our onsite cooperage is one of the few that remain in distilleries today.

1961

Water, air and malted barley. A trinity expertly crafted to make a Glenfiddich whisky. It inspires influential 20th century designer Hans Schleger to create a radical design of the time, our triangular bottle.

© 2017 Whisky Buys